Historical overview about Krauss-Maffei Wegmann
More the 170 years of tradition
Krauss-Maffei Wegmann reflects on 170 years of history which is steeped in tradition and closely linked with the Kassel and Munich locations.
Corporate roots in Kassel and Munich
Joseph Anton von Maffei founded Munich’s first locomotive factory in 1838. In 1931, Krauss & Co. took over the factory, which then traded under the name of Krauss-Maffei AG. During the 1930s, the company developed its first military products. In 1963, Krauss-Maffei as general contractor started series production of the LEOPARD 1 main battle tank, then later the GEPARD self-propelled anti-aircraft gun (SPAAG) system and the LEOPARD 2 MBT.
In 1882, Wegmann & Co. was founded in Kassel by Peter Wegmann and Richard Harkort as Casseler Waggonfabriken von Wegmann, Harkort & Co. In 1912 Wegmann was bought out by August Bode and the merchant Conrad Köhler. In the 1930s, the company became known as a manufacturer of railway carriages for the Henschel-Wegmann train. The manufacture of military vehicles was to follow. In the 60s Wegmann specialised in the development and construction of turret systems for the LEOPARD 1, GEPARD and LEOPARD 2 as well as for artillery & reconnaissance systems.
Merger of Krauss-Maffei and Wegmann
In the year 1999, the defence activities of Krauss-Maffei AG and the Wegmann & Co. GmbH joined under the roof of Krauss-Maffei Wegmann. The resulting synergies, the broad product portfolio and the united system competencies enabled KMW to gain a leading position in the world market.