LEOPARD 2 A6
Highly protected and especially effective – the backbone of numerous allied armed forces
The LEOPARD 2 A6 owes its superior fighting ability to an optimal combination of protection, agility, controllability and fire power.
In the modern 2 A6 version, especially an increase in the engagement range has been implemented. Equipped with the L55 smooth bore gun (120mm), it impresses with its outstanding aiming accuracy and the ability to engage targets at a distance of up to 6000 meters. The primary and secondary protection systems remain effective against the most modern types of munition through constant development. The German armed forces and several other allied customers have equipped the LEOPARD 2 A6 with an additional mine protection system.
16 allied partner nations put their trust in the LEOPARD 2
Its versatile superiority is made use of by 16 nations worldwide. KMW has delivered to all of them. At 3 500 pieces, an unmatched quota. Furthermore, a number of international customers define and devise common supply concepts, further development and plans for adaptations. Reference costumers for the LEOPARD-family are, amongst others, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Denmark and Sweden.
Absolute supremacy on the battle field. The optimal controllability of the LEOPARD 2 rests on the unique combination between the vehicle crew and highly sophisticated technology – made in Germany.
Facts on the controllability:
- state-of-the-art C4I-system and full capability for network enabled operations (NEOps)
- hybrid navigation system
- stabilized main targeting device with thermal imaging and laser rangefinder
- stabilized all-round observation and infrared targeting device for the commanding officer
- high resolution night vision device for the driver
- reversing camera
Protected effectively. The continuous development of the primary and secondary protection systems effectively shelter the crew and vehicle from the most modern types of munitions and threats. Multitudinous combat performance enhancement systems for a number of international customers, guarantee that the LEOPARD 2 will continue to excel in any comparative test in the future.
Facts on the protection:
- highest ballistic frontal protection against tank guns and anti tank guns
- modular protection kit
- worldwide leading roof protection against artillery munitions and bomblets
- adaptive mine protection
- complete NBC-protection in the cockpit
- no usage of radioactive or explosive materials in the protection elements
Facts on the firepower (main weapon):
- smooth bore gun: 120 mm caliber
- Horizontal aiming angle: n x 360°
- Vertical aiming angle: -9° to +20°
- engagement range: up to 6000 m
- Munition: armor piercing kinetic energy penetrator (KE-penetrator) multipurpose projectile
- Ammunition stock: 42 cartridges, 120 mm
- Further armament : axially parallel 7,62 mm machine gun, Fla-MG 7,62 mm
- Multipurpose charge thrower (16 charges)