1838 – 1931
In 1838, Joseph Anton Ritter von Maffei acquired the Munich hammersmiths known as the Lindauer’scher Hammer and developed it into the locomotive and machinery factory, J. A. Maffei. While it started off as a small enterprise, it quickly grew to become a locomotive factory with an international reputation.
In 1866, Georg von Krauss, who had been working as a locksmith at J. A. Maffei , also founded a locomotive factory in Munich: Die Krauss + Comp. KG. Both companies developed into joint-stock companies independently of one another. As a result of the Great Depression, J. A. Maffei went bankrupt in 1930. In 1931, Krauss AG – which had in the meantime become a majority holding of Deutsche Bank – acquired Maffei AG.
In 1882, Peter Wegmann and Richard Harkort founded the company Casseler Waggonfabriken von Wegmann, Harkort & Co in Kassel. It was renamed Wegmann & Co. in 1886. August Bode and Conrad Köhler acquired the company in 1912.